Learning from Nature
simplest, most powerful and flexible database schema.”
Yet the 'accepted norm' in database architecture is more like crystals; rigid, brittle and resistant to change. Like the foundations of a skyscraper, the building (platform application) must conform to the exact structure of tables, columns and relationships. Design changes are slow, expensive and risky.
What makes the difference?
Conventional table-per-object database schemas fix the data structure in tables, columns (fields) and relationships of the core schema. To change the data structure the core schema must be changed, requiring corresponding service and UI code changes, unit testing and server roll-outs. This can be compared to crystal structure that is determined by its molecular shape.
Our Data Neutral Architecture defines data structure without the need to change the core schema. To change data structure data is changed in the DNA schema. Generic service and UI code does not need to be changed. This can be compared to biologic DNA structure that remains the same for all living beings yet allows infinite variability and flexibility.
Legacy Table-per-Object Schemas
Schema design and changes are a well known bottleneck in legacy enterprise architecture. What is not so well known are the stifling effects caused by legacy schema growth.
Legacy database schemas must grow with every new entity and property!
Conventional enterprise schemas typically contain hundreds or thousands of tables with unique columns and relationships. As a schema grows past one hundred tables the following symptoms emerge:
- Structural fragmentation. This causes increasing difficulty for engineers to manage the schema.
- Data fragmentation. Data is split into custom pigeon holes each requiring dedicated access code.
- Exponential rise in complexity. Each new table multiplies complexity. Analysis is difficult and risky.
- Increase in security attack surface. In this day and age every data table requires security monitoring.
The negative effect of these symptoms on enterprise system development cannot be overstated. There is a long list of enterprise dinosaurs that can no longer evolve as the cost and risk of further development is no longer viable.
Portalz Data Neutral Architecture
Portalz DNA is a revolutionary and perfected synergy of architecture and technologies that solve legacy IT architecture and security problems, including those detailed above.
Portalz DNA delivers core benefits unobtainable by conventional architectures, including:
- Structural unification of data
- Ease and flexibility of data definition and storage
- Unprecedented level of service and UI code re-use
- Rapid Application Development by configuration without schema change and coding
- Instant visibility of configured changes
- Rapid production publication without roll-out
- Application wide security integration
- Application wide trust change control and tracking
Portalz DNA responds instantly to real world changes in storage requirements and allows customisation per record or entity. When new products with new features require storage this can be delivered in minutes.
Portalz DNA architecture seamlessly and transparently integrates Quantum Proof Security and Quantum Secure Trust Services.
Portalz DNA is your future proof Enterprise Foundation.